As the national scientific reference institution, the Academy of the Kingdom of Morocco is responsible for spearheading the intellectual, scientific and cultural evolution of the country, in accordance with constitutional requirements and general policy. It aims to enhance the tributaries of national identity through its various components and the activities of its members. It works further to uphold universal values of understanding and dialogue among cultures and civilizations.
To this end, the Academy carries out its intellectual, scientific and cultural mission through all its constituent branches. In particular, it aims to:
- Research and study all scientific and intellectual questions submitted to it by His Majesty the King;
- Contribute to the advancement, development and promotion of scientific research in all areas of knowledge, intellectual enquiry, and culture, in harmony with the missions assigned to other national institutions and organizations;
- Invite prominent national and international scholars to contribute expertise in various academic fields, and garner specialist participation in all its scientific and cultural activities, with consideration to current intellectual trends and practices;
- Contribute to enhance knowledge on the cultural, intellectual and artistic heritage of humanity, and in particular, on the heritage and contributions of Moroccans to world civilization, this within the scope of its own projects and programs, and or in partnership with national and international organizations working towards similar goals;
- Promote cultural creativity in all its facets and manifestations, particularly that of Moroccan citizens, and work to disseminate and highlight the significance of these achievements;
- Convene national and international meetings, symposia and conferences on a regular basis to help shed light on current issues facing contemporary societies, analyze their multiform dimensions, and anticipate future developments in light of the transformations affecting the world today;
- Host meetings of scholars and academics from different parts of the world in order to build bridges of communication between them and to uphold the values of dialogue and mutual understanding;
- Establish scientific chairs dedicated in the study of cultural and intellectual issues and to the organization of specific activities and programs in relevant areas;
- Create and endow prizes and awards to recognize excellence among outstanding personalities and to honor outstanding scientific and cultural achievements and artistic creations, to be awarded in accordance with the highest criteria of merit and excellence;
- Submit proposals and recommendations to government authorities and institutions, in particular, the bodies responsible for education, training, culture and scientific research, for the expansion and transmission of new knowledge, the promotion of artistic creativity, and the development of scientific research.
- Contribute to the widespread distribution of seminal scientific works on behalf of the Academy and promote publication of original, groundbreaking works through all its networks and across the various media;
- Enhance the understanding of the history of Morocco through promotion, sponsorship, and publication of research in the field;
- Encourage translation and distribution of seminal works in all the scientific fields of competence of the Academy as well as the reference heritage studies;
- Develop artistic creation with full attention to the Arts and the Moroccan artistic heritage in all its forms and expressions;
- Build partnerships with national and international academic institutions pursuing similar objectives, to increase exchange of expertise and establish joint programs and activities of mutual importance.